Skip to main content


Interlibrary Loan


The University Libraries are closed until further notice, per county and state shelter-in-place guidelines. Interlibrary Loan remains operationally on a digital and remote basis. ILL staff are working remotely to fill electronic requests when possible. Physical materials such as books and media cannot be requested or received at this time. Staff will try to locate or borrow digital content when possible and communicate with users if other options may be available, such as digital delivery of single chapters or ebook purchases through the library's recommend a purchase program.  Please continue to request via Melvyl Request or the Citation Linker. There will be a delay in usual turnaround times. Please contact ILL staff at with any questions. We thank you for your understanding and patience. 


What materials can I request via ILL during the closure?
We are unable to process requests for or receive physical items, including books, DVDs, and microfilm. We are currently processing requests for journal articles and single book chapters, as well as other limited material that can be borrowed digitally. We encourage you to continue to request all materials need.

How long will it take to receive electronic items?
Our usual turnaround time will be impacted due to library closures across the country. We are processing as quickly as possible, but please note there may be delays. 

Can I request and receive eBooks?
Unfortunately, many eBooks cannot be borrowed via ILL. We can borrow single chapters, however. Consider recommending an ebook purchase here if this cannot meet your research needs. Please note physical items cannot be purchased at this time; only eBooks and digital content can be considered for purchase.

Should I return my ILL items before leaving campus?
If you have items due shortly and are able, you may return items in the drop boxes at either library. However, we are working on arranging automatic renewals for items coming due shortly.

Will I be billed for items coming due during the closure dates?
ILL staff are working to extend due dates and suspend recalls and billing to the fullest extent possible. Because some automated billing may happen that is outside of our control, please email ILL staff at with specific inquiries.

How do I request items through ILL?

Activating Your Library Barcode                                    


Your library barcode is found on your student ID card. This barcode must be activated before it's valid. Please visit the circulation desk at either McHenry Library or the Science & Engineering Library to activate your account, or call the circulation desk at either library. Please use the entire number without the spaces or dashes when requesting items.

Faculty and Staff:

Your barcode is located on your library card. The card type can vary based on account type and other factors, but staff and faculty ID cards often serve as your library card. If you have trouble locating it, have lost your card, or are unsure if it's activated, please call or come into the library.

All users may activate their library barcodes and library accounts by using the Contact the Library form at the bottom of the Contact Us page. For immediate assistance and activation, please use call or visit the library.


Requesting using Melvyl                                        

1) Find the item in Melvyl.                                                    
2) Select the Request button. 
3) Submit the request information form. 
For detailed instructions, see:
 Melvyl How-to Guide

Search other UC libraries and request via interlibrary loan In Melvyl, choose Request to borrow an item

Requesting articles from a database using UC-eLinks

1) Look for and click on the UC-eLinks symbol in article databases.
2) Follow the prompts to request articles not available in full text.
3) Choose "Request from the library" in the UC-eLinks menu. 
For detailed instructions, see:
 UC-eLinks How-to Guide


Requesting using the Citation Linker (for complete citations)

Note: if you do not have a complete citation, please use Melvyl or contact a reference librarian

1) Fill in the citation information and select continue.                                            
2) Choose the appropriate option from the UC-eLinks menu. Note that local access with be listed, if available. 
3) To begin an ILL request, choose "Request this from the library" and submit the information form.
For detailed instructions, see:
 UC-eLinks How-to Guide

UC e-links Citation Linker                                                                                                                             

Quick Links

We are here to help!

Ask for us at the McHenry Library Circulation desk.

Call us at 831-459-2234.

Email us at