Current UCSC students, faculty, and staff may borrow Dell laptops and Chromebooks from the Circulation Desk at both the Science & Engineering Library and the McHenry Library. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis and may be borrowed for four hours at a time. They may be reserved one day in advance by visiting the Circulation Desk at the library where you wish to borrow the laptop. One laptop per person may be checked out.
- The normal loan period is 4 hours.
- Patrons can check items out again if no one is waiting for them. This must be done in person.
- Failure to return the equipment on time will result in an hourly fine.
- The University Library reserves the right to deny checkout privileges based on past abuses.
- The borrower agrees to return the equipment in the same order and condition as when received and if such equipment is damaged or lost while on loan, agrees to reimburse the university for the costs of repair or replacement with new equipment of the same type.
- Overdue charges of $2.00 for each hour or partial hour until a maximum of $75.00 in fines are assessed if the equipment is not returned on time. Laptop replacement fees will be assessed if it is not returned.
- Please report loss, damage, or defect to the Circulation Desk immediately.
Printing Your Work
- Printing is currently unavailable from the circulating Dell laptops and Chromebooks.
- Please do not leave the library equipment unattended. You are responsible for the equipment checked out to you. The Library is not responsible for loss while checked out to you.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop. No user files will be retained on the hard disk.
- For technical questions about the operation of the library laptops, please go to the IT Help Desk.
- Please report any hardware or software problems to Circulation staff when returning the laptop.
The library also offers other equipment for checkout, including calculators, power adapters, audiovisual adapters, and bicycle locks. For more information and availability, please inquire at the circulation desks.
Additional Laptops Available: ITS laptop kiosks
- Beginning September 16, 2022, UCSC students may check out Dell Windows laptop computers, Dell Chromebooks, or chargers from the new self-service laptop kiosks located at McHenry Library and the Science & Engineering Library.
- Beginning Winter Quarter 2023, the ITS kiosk laptops and chargers can be checked out for up to 8 hours. Many thanks to the survey respondents who gave feedback on the checkout period.
- More information is available here: https://its.ucsc.edu/laptop-kiosk/index