- Keep the filename short (aim for less than 25 characters)
- Use underscores instead of spaces
- Avoid special characters such as: " / \ : * ? < > [ ] & $ .
- Use the dating convention: YYYY-MM-DD or YYMMDD
- Use the 3-letter file extension to indicate the file format, such as .txt, .pdf, or .csv.
- When using number, use leading zeros to make sure files sort in sequential order. Use 001, 002, ...020, 021 … instead of 1, 2… 20, 21…
Case Study: File Naming Done Well - Excellent example of a method to name thousands of image files. File names include study site, water depth, date, and more.