Current UCSC students, faculty, and staff may borrow laptops, and Chromebooks from the Science & Engineering Library Circulation Desk and the McHenry Library Circulation Desk. The S&E Library has one gaming iPad to check out. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis. They may be reserved one day in advance. One laptop per person may be checked out.
- The normal loan period is for approximately 4 hours (rounded to nearest hour).
- Renewals are allowed when there is no one waiting. Renewals must be done in person.
- Failure to return the equipment on time will result in an hourly fine.
- The University Library reserves the right to deny checkout privileges based on past abuses.
- The borrower agrees to return the equipment in the same order and condition as when received and if such equipment is damaged or lost while on loan, agrees to reimburse the university for the costs of repair or replacement with new equipment of the same type.
- Overdue charges of $5.00 for the first hour or partial hour and $2.00 for each hour or partial hour thereafter until a maximum of $75.00 are assessed if the equipment is not returned on time.
- Please report loss, damage, or defect to the Circulation Desk immediately.
Printing Your Work
- Printing is currently unavailable on laptops, Chromebooks, and iPads.
- Please, do not leave the library equipment unattended. You are responsible for the equipment checked out to you. The Library is not responsible for loss while checked out to you.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop. No user files will be retained on the hard disk.
- Flash Drive is recommended (to save your work and take it away with you)
- For technical questions about operation of the library laptops, please go to the IT Help Desk.
- Please report any hardware or software problems to Circulation staff when returning the laptop.
The library also offers other equipment for checkout, including calculators, power adapters, audiovisual adapters, and bicycle locks. For more information and availability, please inquire at the circulation desks.