Last Updated: Aug 15, 2013
Guide URL: http://guides.library.ucsc.edu/offcampusaccess
Shibboleth allows authentiction to a limited number of licensed library databases from off-campus.
It is an alternative to the Off-Campus Access OCA proxy service.
UCSC Faculty, Staff & Students.
Currently only a limited number of databases are available via shibboleth:
- ProQuest databases, including ERIC, Sociological Abstracts, GeoRef, EconLit, PsycINFO, Ethnic Newswatch, ProQuest Historical Newspapers and more.
- HaithiTrust resources (collection includes UC books scanned by Google), such as those found linked in Melvyl.
- You don't need your student or library card number. Use your cruzid gold password instead.
- No changes are required to the network settings of your home computer
- When the OCA Off-Campus Access system is unavailable, licensed resources (such as the ProQuest databases) will be available via Shibboleth.
In many cases, the OCA proxy service is better to use because
- Shibboleth because works with a very limited number of databases
- UC e-links don't always work when using Shibboleth