Shibboleth allows authentiction to a limited number of licensed library databases from off-campus.
It is an alternative to the Off-campus Access OCA proxy service.
UCSC Faculty, Staff & Students.
Currently only a limited number of databases are available via shibboleth:
- ProQuest databases, including ERIC, Sociological Abstracts, GeoRef, EconLit, PsycINFO, Ethnic Newswatch, ProQuest Historical Newspapers and more.
- HaithiTrust resources (collection includes UC books scanned by Google), such as those found linked in Melvyl.
- You don't need your student or library card number. Use your CruzID Gold password instead
- No changes are required to the network settings of your home computer
- When the OCA Off-campus Access system is unavailable, licensed resources (such as the ProQuest databases) will be available via Shibboleth.
In many cases, the OCA service is better to use because
- Shibboleth works with a very limited number of databases
- UC-eLinks don't always work when using Shibboleth