Finding these maps is a two step process:
(For geologic maps outside California use National Geologic Map Database)
1. Find the names of the topographic maps for your area:
- Find topographic map names using USGS MapFinder
- Navigate to your area and note the names for the 1:24,000 scale maps (aka 7.5’ maps)
- You'll need these map names to locate them in the UCSC collections
- 15’ historic maps of the Monterey Bay region (The 15’ map is in the center and names of 7.5’ maps are in smaller squares in brown type.)
2. Using this name, search for:
Geologic maps in the UCSC Library:
- Go to CruzCat (Maps & Atlases)
- Enter a keyword search using the name of the topographic map along with “and geologic” (e.g. “Watsonville and geologic”).
- Too few results? Enter the name of the topographic map alone.
USGS geologic maps (Our library has all the USGS report series)